Deitz, John Jost P.
John Jost P. Deitz was born on July 12, 1817, at Beaverdam, Berne, Albany, NY. His parents were Peter Ives Deitz (Apr 15, 1791 - Apr 6, 1855) and Elizabeth Haverly (Jan 27, 1794 - Mar 19, 1842). He was the fourth of thirteen children.
He was a Stone and Brick Mason.
Marriage & Children
John Jost P. Deitz married Anna Maria Bassler, daughter of Frederick Bassler III and Maria Salsburg, on January 4, 1838, at the Beaverdam Reformed Church in West Berne. They bought an acre of land at Pleasant Valley, in the town of Knox, near the Bassler homestead from Elias Bassler, the brother of Anna Maria. They lived there in a small house that is still lived in today. They had the following six children:
- Miner Deitz - b. Apr 30, 1838. He married Sarah Posson on Nov 20, 1862. He died on Apr 1, 1909 at Schoharie, NY.
- Ellen Deitz - b. Nov 3, 1840 d. Mar 22, 1844 At Albany, NY, at age 3. Buried at the Peter Deitz Farm Burying Ground, Berne.
- Permelia Deitz b. Nov 21, 1843. She married Jacob Milton Niemeyer on Dec 24, 1867 at Berne. She died on Jun 20, 1874 at Berne at age 30.
- Peter B. Deitz - b. Apr 10, 1847. He married Adeliade Engle, on Jul 1, 1868 at the Lutheran Church, Berne. He and Adeliade appeared on the census of 1880 at Lenox, Madison, NY. He was a brick mason.
- John Frederick Deitz - b. Apr 20, 1849. He married Elmira Baker before 1870. He died on May 6, 1912 at Springfield, Hampton, MA, at age 63. He appeared on the census of 1880 at Albany, NY. He was a clerk.
- Ellery Willes Deitz b. Feb 14, 1858. He married Carrie E. Warner on Nov 22, 1881. He was a mason. He died on May 17, 1914 at Berne and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.