From Helderberg Hilltowns of Albany County, NY
(Redirected from James Armstrong)
James Armstrong was born in Knox on December 10, 1811, the son of John Armstrong, Jr. (2/13/1784 - 3/14/1879) and Tahpenes Williams (10/3/1788 - 4/30/1859).
James was a farmer, who owned 200 acres of land on Knox Cave Road in Knox.
Marriage & Children
On October 17, 1833, James married Sarah Tygert (9/29/1815 - 1/26/1854) in Knox. Sarah was the youngest daughter of the 12 children of William Tygert and his wife Catherine. They had the following children:
- Catherine Armstrong (3/19/1835 - 6/21/1914, m. Nicholas Chesebro)
- Coleman Armstrong (3/22/1837 - 2-26-1871, m. Elmina Chesebro)
- Cordelia Armstrong (9/1/1839 - 9/14/1872, m. Elam Schoonmaker)
- Jane Eliza Armstrong (2/11/1842 - 3/9/1845)
- Ester Ann Armstrong (5/6/1844 - 2/21/1867)
- Andrew J. Armstrong (b. 3/30/1847, m. Elizabeth Chesebro, "sister of Sherman Chesebro")
- Josephine Armstrong (b. 6/28/1849, m. 9/5/1867 Barney Lewis, who was born @ 1843)
- George A. Armstrong (b. 1/13/1852, m. Ellen Abbott, the daughter of Ralph Abbott and Martha Settle - no children)
- Edson T. Armstrong (b. 1/10/1854 - 5/16/1855)
Following Sarah's death, James married, Catherine Ann Williams (5/8/1829 - 6/8/1909) on September 9, 1854. Catherine was the daughter of Benjamin Williams and Rachel Vridenberg. They had the following children:
- James Armstrong (b. 1/9/1859, m. Ida Pier, b. 8/1864)
- Seymour W. Armstrong (8/23/1855 - 12/25/1909, m. Augusta O. Allen, 8/5/1851 - 2/5/1937, dau. of Sylvester Allen and Sarah Bunzey)
- Elmour C. Armstrong (b. 12/2/1860, m. Emma Van Atten, b. 11/1866)
- Sarah A. Armstrong (7/13/1863 - 1918, m. 1/7/1883 George Saddlemire, 11/1861 - 6/1942)
- William Benjamin Armstrong (11/27/1867 - 7/8/1947, m. Jennie May Clickman, 10/21/1869 - @ 1904).
James died January 31, 1884, in Knox, and is buried in Knox Cemetery.