Stephen Van Rensselaer Pangburn was born July 21, 1815, in Guilderland, N.Y..
Marriage & Children
Stephen died April 5, 1895, at Knox.
Oh what sadness pervades this community as we hear of the death of our esteemed friend and neighbor, Stephen V. R. Pangbum, which occurred at the residence of his son, D. Emory Pangburn, at Knox, on the morning of the fifth of April, 1895. Mr. Pangburn had been in feeble health, suffering from rheumatism for years. Shortly after the death of his wife, which occurred the thirteenth of February, 1895, he was advised to visit his son for a few weeks, looking to the time when he would return to his home on the State Road. News came of his feeble health and with great anxiety his daughter, Mrs, Chappell, left for Knox, arriving, she found her father had received a fall from which he never recovered.
Mr. Pangburn was born in the town of Guilderland, on the farm now owned by Mr. William Paige, near his residence. While residing there most of his time was spent in school at State Road, after which he moved to the town of Knox and married Miss Lucy A. Van Auken. in the year of 1840. He then moved to Niagara county and purchased a farm. In the year 1870 he moved back on State Road, near his boy-hood home, where he resided up to the time of his death He was a farmer by occupation. In politics he was a strong democrat up to the first election of Lincoln, when he cast his first republican vote. He united with the Methodist church at the age of eleven years and was a member up to the time of his death. His funeral was held from the Methodist church at Knox on Sunday the seventh, the Rev. F. W. Schwartzman officiating. He was in the 80th year of his age. Interment in Prospect Hill Cemetery at Guilderland. He leaves a son, and daughter and seven grand children to mourn his loss.
Published in The Altamont Enterprise, April 5, 1895.
D. Emory Pangburn, the son of Stephen Pangburn purchased 120 acres Lot 065-K from Walter S. Church on April 10, 1879. Stephen Pangburn died at his son's house, now 66 Beebe Road, Knox. Charles E. Beebe purchased the 120 acres from M. May Pangburn, the daughter of D. Emory Pangburn, on October 3, 1914.