In 1839 William Lawrence ran Lawrence's Tavern on what was then Delaware Turnpike, (this may have been on what is now Woodstock Road). An early incident leading to the Anti-rent War took place in the tavern and is mentioned on page 26 of Tin Horns and Calico.
William Lawrence, born in Dutchess County in 1799, settled in Berne and leased Lot 390, just north of the southern town line with Westerlo. An 1854 map of Berne shows W. & R. Lawrence (William and son Reuben Lawrence) on the east side of what is now Woodstock Road, perhaps where McCain Road is now located, (maybe at the end of it?). It is a very short dead end road. Perhaps the tavern was on the first floor of the house.
On the 1866 Beers map of Berne the same house was lived in by O. St. John (Orlando?).