Allen V. Jones, the son of Manchester Jones (B. abt 1807, D. Nov 17, 1880) and Martha Stalker (B. April 13, 1808, D. June 23, 1880), was born in Berne, Albany County, NY in July 1844. He was one of eleven children.
Marriage & Children
Allen married a woman named Emma I. about 1871. They had the following children:
- Charles Jones (B. Abt 1873, D. unk)
- Orville Jones (B. Aug 1876, D. unk)
- Emma Jones (B. Mar 1878, D. unk)
- Mary Jones (B. Apr 1879, D. unk)
Before his service during the Civil War, Allen worked as a farmer.
|Enlistment Date:||13 Aug 1862|
|Enlistment Place:||Berne, New York|
|State Served:||New York|
|Regiment:||7th Regiment NY Heavy Artillery|
|Promotion Date:||18 Dec 1863|
|Promotion Rank:||Full Corporal|
|Captured on:||16 Jun 1864|
|Captured at:||Petersburg, VA|
|Paroled on:||8 Apr 1865|
|Muster Out Date:||16 Jun 1865|
|Muster Out Place:||Ft Federal Hill, Baltimore, MD|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted at the age of 19. Captured on June 16, 1864 at Petersburg and released a year later on April 8, 1865. His older brother Chauncey Jones, who also served in the 7th HA although in Company C, was wounded.
Born in Berne, NY, Age 19, Farmer, Gray eyes, Black hair, Light complexion, 5'9" tall.
|Sources Used: Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; 1865 census, Berne, Albany Co., NY; Annual Report of the Adjutant-General of the State of New York for the year 1898; Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817; Keating, Robert, Carnival of Blood: The Civil War Ordeal of the Seventh New York Heavy Artillery, Published by Butternut and Blue, Baltimore, Md 1998|
Additional Research Notes
- Keating, Robert, Carnival of Blood: The Civil War Ordeal of the Seventh New York Heavy Artillery, Published by Butternut and Blue, Baltimore, Md 1998
- NY Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, Ancestry.com Military databases
- Civil War Pension Records @ Fold3.com