Johannes Swart was born on October 30, 1766 in Berne, Albany Co., NY a son of Conrad Swart and Maria Elisabeth Ecker. His known siblings were:
- Jacob Swart who was born in 1769 and married Rebecca Reinhart
- Adam Swart who was born in 1773
After the death of his mother, his father married a second time. His known half-siblings from that marriage were:
- Anna Swart, b. 10 Sep 1775, bp. 1775 Schoharie Lutheran Church (#1386), d/o Conrad Schwart. Sponsors, Friedrich Basler and wife. (her grandparents)
- Peter Swart b. 29 Nov 1777, bp. Schoharie Lutheran Church (#1483), s/o Conrath Schwart and Elisabeth. Sponsors, Peter Enter and Catharina Dietz.
- Frederick Swart, b. 06 Sep 1779, bp. Oct 1779 Schoharie Lutheran Church (#1581), s/o Conrath Schwart and Maria Elisabeth. Sponsors, Friederich Baseler & wife. (his grandparents)
- Henrich Swart, b. 23 Aug 1782, bp. Schoharie Lutheran Church (#1808), s/o Conrath Swart or Schwart. Sponsor Henrich Knieskern, Jr. and wife.
- Sophia Swart, b. 04 Feb 1787, bp. 1787, Schoharie Lutheran Church (#2139), d/o Conrath Schwardt and Elisabeth. Sponsors, John Damneck and wife.
- William Swart, b. 08 Feb 1790, bp. 18 Feb 1790 Albany (Ebenezer) Lutheran Church, s/o Conrad Schwarz Ux Elisabeth. Sponsors Will'm Ball, Ux Maria."
- Christian Swart, b. 01 Jan 1797, bp. 8 Mar 1797, Beaver Dam Dutch Reformed Church, s/o Coenraat Swart and Elizabeth Bassely. Sponsors Christian Sonts and Barbary Merrecle.
Marriage & Children
On January 30, 1797 at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Schoharie, he married Eva Leib who was born on October 15, 1778 in Knox, a daughter of Johannes Leip and Elizabeth Young. They had the following known children:
- George Swart was born on July 23, 1797
- John G. Swart was born on October 10, 1799
- Mary Elizabeth Swart was born on October 10, 1799
- Peter Swart was born on January 22, 1806, married Anna M. Schermerhorn
- David Swart was born on February 25, 1811
- Catherine Swart was born on January 31, 1802, married David Engle
John died between August 27, 1830 and October 1, 1839. Eva’s date of death is unknown but is believed to have been between 1860 and 1865 in Knox.
Additional Research Notes
- Vosburgh, Royden W., ed. "Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of the Beaver Dam in the Town of Berne, Albany County, New York." NY, NY: New York Gen & Bio Soc., 1918.