Head for the Hills - the Helderberg Hilltowns
The Albany hill towns are known for their natural beauty: pastoral rural country side, rolling hills, meandering creeks, waterfalls, forest land.
Visitor attractions and facilities
To make it easier for visitors who want to "Head for the Hills," their are now separate pages of visitor attractions and facilities for each of the hilltowns:
- Berne visitor attractions and facilities.
- Knox visitor attractions and facilities.
- Westerlo visitor attractions and facilities.
- Rensselaerville visitor attractions and facilities.
Laura DeGaetano, Natural Resource Planner, Albany County Department of Economic Development, Conservation & Planning, has provided links to the following resources published by her office:
- Albany County Bounty map - a resource map of Albany County farms and farm products.
- Discover the Helderberg Hilltowns map - a map showing the location of Helderberg Hilltowns farms and farm related businesses. It also has suggested tour routes.
Hard copies of the maps are available at her office, 112 State St. Room 720, Albany, NY 12207; Tel. (518) 447-5670.
- A Guide to Altamont and the Helderbergs published 2009.
Then and Now
"Then and Now" is a series of images of buildings and locations in the Hilltowns comparing and old photo with a current image of the same scene. There is a separate page for each town.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Rensselaerville
Then photo from People Made It Happen Here 2002, from I Spy My Hometown - Rensselaerville
Antique Motor Vehicles
"Antique Motor Vehicles" - We challenge you to try and identify the make, model, and year of the the old vehicles.
Images from the collection of the Knox Fire Department
"Helderberg Landscapes" has a series of images taken by various photographers showing the beauty of the Albany hill towns.
Jim Hamilton and family of Berne enjoy watching the sun set over Mr. Van Rensselaer's Lot 594.
Helderberg Hilltowns companion sites
- Helderberg Hilltowns blog - To keep posted on what is new on the Helderberg Hilltowns sites.
- Head for Hills - the Helderberg Hilltowns - a Facebook group for encouraging folks to visit the four Albany hill towns. You don't have to be a member of FaceBook to visit the site and see what is happing in the hill towns.
- Albany County Hilltowns - For folks interested in:
- History of the hill towns of Albany County and the people who lived there.
- Historic building preservation in the hamlets and countryside of the hill towns.
- Preservation of the farmland and scenic beauty.
- Promoting farms and farm activities.
- www.HillTowns.org - Information on the Helderberg Hilltown Association activities, as well as extension list of Hilltown businesses, products, services, and recreation.
The members of the group were involved in the formation of this Helderberg Hilltowns Wiki site, and they continue to provide guidance and publicity. Membership is open to everyone and we invite you to join. However, you don't have to join Facebook, nor participate, to click on the link and see what members are discussing.