Salisburg, John M.
John Miner Salsburg was a member of the Salisbury family. However he appeared to prefer the spelling Salsburg. He was born on March 23, 1847 in Peoria, Schoharie County, NY to William Salsburg (B. 1818, D. bef 1800) and Mary Jane Duell (B. 1822, D. after 1880). He was the middle child of five.
Marriage & Children
On October 23, 1870 in Lowville, Lewis County, NY, he married Rhoda Emogene Cole (B. Mar 3, 1850, D. Apr 16, 1943), who was the daughter of Ambrose R. Cole and Jane Utley. They had several children:
- Frederick Jay Salsbur (B. Sept 11, 1871, D. 1954)
- William Salsburg (B. July 3, 1873, D. 1878)
- Herbert E. Salsburg (B. Feb 19, 1877, D. after 1900)
- Harry R. Salsburg (B. June 13, 1881, D. 1969)
- Seward H. Salsburg (B. June 1884, D. after 1900)
- Leroy C. Salsburg (B. Nov 25, 1886 or 1888, D. 1958)known as Roy
John always lived in the country and primarily made his living as a farmer. However the 1910 Census recorded John and his son Roy both working harvesting pulp wood.
|Name:||John M. Salisburg |
|Place of Birth:||Schoharie, NY|
|Date of Birth:||23 March 1846|
|Names of Parents:||William (Salisburg) and Mary Jane Duel|
|Term of Enlistment:||1 year|
|Enlistment Date:||21 Mar 1864|
|Enlistment Place:||Albany, NY|
|State Served:||New York|
|Regiment:||5th Infantry |
|Muster Out Date:||21 Aug 1865 |
|Muster Out Place:||Hart's Island, NY Harbor, NY|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted at age 18."Discharged June 2nd 1865. P.O. Address West Bern Albany Co N.Y."|
|Sources Used: 1865 census Berne, Albany Co., NY; 1890 US Veterans Census; Greig, Lewis Co, NY; Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817; Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War|
In 1865 after his service in the Civil War, he was living with his parents and siblings in Berne. The 1865 NY State Census notes that while his father had been born in Albany county, John, his mother and siblings were all born in Schoharie county. They were living next to Johns' paternal aunt Maria Salsburg Lavery (B. 1825, D. abt 1905) and her family. Soon after this census, John moved to Lewis County, NY where he married his wife in October of 1870.
After his marriage, John lived in Lewis County, NY for the remainder of his life. In 1880, his young family can be found living in Greig Twp, Lewis County, NY several houses away from Rhoda's parents, however John was not recorded as living with them. In 1890 John was recorded by the US Veterans Census living in Greig, Lewis County and he had a disability as a result of heart disease.
In the early 1900s John worked as a farmer on his own mortgage free farm. In 1910 John and his son Roy were working in the pulp wood business. At the age of 73 in 1920, John was still working as a farmer raising sheep, and he and his wife Rhoda lived with their son Roy and his young family. A decade later in 1930 John and Rhoda now in their 80s were living in Martinsburg, Lewis County, NY with their young granddaughter Ruth, who was 22 years of age and worked at a box factory.
John and his wife both lived long lives.
John Miner Salsburg died on February 4, 1940 in Glenfield, Lewis County, NY at 92 years of age. He was buried at Old Glendale Cemetery with his wife and her parents.
Additional Research Notes
Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Bernehistory.org
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 David Kipp Conover Jr. at www.rhodes.globat.com/~conovergenealogy.com
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 1900 US Census, Greig, Lewis Co, NY
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 US Censuses
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 1910 US Census, Greig, Lewis Co, NY
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 Ancestry Military Databases
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 1865 NY Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 1880 US Census, Greig, Lewis Co, NY
- ↑ 1890 US Veterans Census, Greig, Lewis Co, NY
- ↑ 1920 US Census, Greig, Lewis Co, NY
- ↑ 1930 US Census, Martinsburg, Lewis Co, NY