Little is known about Michael Smith, however he was born in about 1838. His birthplace has been recorded as Albany County, New York and Ireland. His parents are unknown, but it appears that he was related to Josephine Smith Wilson, the daughter of Jacob Smith (B. 1825, D. Feb 5, 1867). He lived in Berne, Albany Co, NY for most of his life.
Marriage & Children
He may have married a woman named Hannah who was 15 years older than he. In 1865 he was living with a Hannah Lodner and she could possibly have become his wife.
|Residence at Enlistment:||Berne|
|Place of Birth:||Ireland|
|Date of Birth:||January 1840|
|Term of Enlistment:||2 years|
|Bounty Received:||None |
|Enlistment Date:||14 Dec 1861|
|Enlistment Place:||Albany |
|State Served:||New York|
|Re-enlistment Date:||23 April 1864|
|Muster Out Date:||3 July 1865|
|Muster Out Place:||Near Washington, DC|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted at age 24 to serve 3 years. ; reenlisted . Soldier applied for pension on 5 July 1890.
Born in County Mayes, Ireland in June of 1840, Age 23, Farmer, Gray eyes, Dark hair, Dark complexion, 5'3" tall.
|Sources Used: 1865 census, Berne, Albany Co., NY; Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817; Ancestry.com, US Civil War Soldiers 1861-1865 and CW Pension Index; Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York.|
In 1855 at the age of about 19, Michael Smith was working as a servant and living with Polly Ryan, who was a maid, in Berne. He continued to live with her in 1860. In 1865 he was living with Mary Ryan, presumably Mary and Polly are the same person or they are related. In this census Michael is reported as a naturalized citizen who was born in Ireland, a farmer who owned his own land and currently serving in the army. In 1870 he was again living with Mary Ryan in Berne and he was working as a farm laborer. By 1880 he was living in his own place in Berne, with a woman named Hannah and he was a farmer.
Michael Smith died on November 17, 1899. He was granted his pension for his Civil War service on July 5, 1890. He did not appear on the 1890 Veterans Schedule or the 1892 NY State census in Berne.
Additional Research Notes
In 1875 Michael lived in Berne. He was 38 years old, born in Ireland, single, and a farmer. Others in his household included: Ann Eliabeth Ryan age 47, no connection, born in Albany, and single; Mary Ryan age 92 , no connection, born in Connecticut, single, and blind; Hannah Smith age 42, no connection, born in Schoharie, Single. 
Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1855 NY State Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1860 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 1880 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 1865 NY State Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 1870 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 Annual Report of the Adjutant General or the State of New York
- ↑ 1865 Census, Berne, Albany Co., NY
- ↑ Ancestry Military Databases
- ↑ NY Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, Ancestry.com Military databases
- ↑ Civil War Pension Records @ Fold3.com
- ↑ 1875 census, Berne, Albany Co., NY