McNary, Martin A.
Martin A. McNary was born on March 8, 1782 in Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY, the eldest son of Martin and Catherine Snider/Snyder McNary. He was the son of a Revolutionary War soldier, and the grandson of a veteran of the French and Indian Wars in Connecticut.
Marriage & Children
Martin married Elizabeth “Betsey” Cary at about 1800 in Fishkill. She was born in 1780. Martin and Betsy had the following children:
- Phebe McNary born June 7, 1801 at Fishkill, NY, married John Joslin
- Sarah McNary born February 9, 1805 at Fishkill, NY, married Mathias Strevell
- Joseph McNary born in 1807 at Fishkill, NY, married Ruth Vanickley
- Christopher McNary born April 9, 1810 at Fishkill, NY
- Seley McNary born in 1811 at Berne, NY, married Caroline Stoneburgh
- Anna McNary born about 1813 at Berne, NY
- Elijah McNary born in 1817 at Berne, NY, married Sally Martha Barton
- Jane Ann McNary born in 1821 at Berne, NY, married Horace Northrop
In the War of 1812, he served in the 1st Regiment, New York Militia (Belknap's) He was inducted as a private and discharged without promotion
Martin and his family came to Berne from Fishkill, NY at about 1811 and he remained there until just prior to his death in 1856 when he removed to Middleburgh in Schoharie County, presumably to the poorhouse there. He was a farmer and he served in the War of 1812. His claim for his pension for that service was received posthumously.
Martin A. McNary died on September 18, 1856 at Middleburgh, Schoharie Co., NY and was buried at Filkins Hill burial ground. His wife, Betsey died at Berne on May 19, 1839 and is buried at Filkins Hill burial ground next to their son, Christopher, who died at Berne on April 4, 1830 at age 20.