Elijah McNary was born about 1817 in Berne, Albany Co., NY. He died between 1894 and 1899 in Albany County, NY. He was a son of Martin A. McNary and Betsey Cary.
Marriage & Children
Elijah married Sally Martha Barton, a daughter of Caleb S. Barton and Sally Martha Carle at about 1840 in Berne, Albany County, NY. Sally Martha was born about 1817 in Berne, Albany County, NY, she died on or about December of 1869 in Albany, Albany County, NY. Elijah and Sally had the following children:
- Isaac B. McNary was born in Berne in January of 1841. He died in 1926 in Guilderland, NY.
- Joseph Addison McNary was born in Berne on 13 Jun 1842. He died on 13 Dec 1903 at Watervliet, NY.
- Edwin R. McNary was born in Berne in Dec of 1844. He died on 2 Jan 1908. He was buried in Knox Cemetery, Knox, Albany County, New York.
- Loretta A. McNary was born in Berne on 12 Apr 1848. She died on 16 Mar 1926. Loretta married Valentine Kissel at about 1868 in Albany. Valentine was born on 15 Mar 1848 in Germany. He died on 1 Mar 1925 in Albany Co.. He was buried in St. John's Lutheran Cemetery, Sand Creek Rd., Albany, NY.
- John Joslin McNary was born in Berne on 4 Aug 1850. He died on 10 Jan 1940 in Albany, NY.
- Clarissa Lavinia McNary was born in Berne in April of 1853. She died on 12 Sep 1919 in Albany, NY
- Perry McNary was born in Berne on 15 Oct 1855. He died on 25 Oct 1944 at Seneca, Newton Co., MO. He was buried in Burkhart Cemetery, Racine, Newton County, Missouri 
- Ida E. McNary was born in Berne on 13 Nov 1860. She died on 4 Dec 1937 in Schenectady, NY.
Elijah worked in the stone quarries in and around Berne from the time of his marriage until about 1858 or 1859 when he removed to Albany. At Albany, he entered into business with his son, Joseph, using the name of McNary & Son Pavers. Their business thrived until Joseph entered the Civil War and thereafter was unable to continue as a stone worker. Elijah then turned to creating monuments for cemeteries.
Elijah never re-married after his wife's death.
Additional Research Notes