John Armstrong was born in 1736 in Albany, and baptized 22 April 1736 at the Reformed Dutch Church of Albany. He was the son of Jan Arenstran/Harenstrang (Dutch intepretation of Armstrong)and Catryna De Garmo. His siblings were Maria, baptized 25 Nov 1733 and Catharina, baptized 12 Dec 1730.
John Armstrong was a farmer. On 2 May 1791 he received a lease from Stephen Van Rensselaer III on Lot 793, Bern for 180 acres on what is now Bell Road, Knox
Marriage & Children
John was married to Johanna, who was born prior to 1755, and died circa 1832 in Knox.
Their children were:
- Andrew Armstrong, born between 1765-1770, married to Mary Williams before 1800, died 1840-1850
- Rebecca Armstrong, b. 1775-1780, married circa 1805 William B. Winne of Albany (b. 1758, d. 1848), d. @1850
- Henry Armstrong, b. @ 1774, m. before 1800 to Catherine Hart(or Harper) of Knox, d. 1840-1850 in Knox
- Joseph C. Armstrong, b.@ 1781
- John Armstrong Jr., b. 13 Feb. 1784, m. 24 May 1807 at Knox to Tahpenes Williams (b.3 Oct 1788, d. 30 April 1859) and m. 28 July 1861 in Wright to Ester Williams (b. 29 June 1801, d. 22 Feb. 1892). John, Jr. died 14 March 1879.
- Tryphena Armstrong (1786-1825) Ancestry.com
John Armstrong's Will