Spawn, John C.
John C. Spawn was born in about 1837 to Lewis Spawn (B. Nov 24, 1791, D. aft 1860) and Prudence Thorne (B. bet 1790-1800, D. bef 1850) probably in Schoharie County.
Marriage & Children
John married Frances Winans of Berne, who was the daughter of William Winans and his wife Elizabeth. They married probably in the 1850s in NY. John and Fanny, as she was known, did not have any children.
John was a farmer.
|Enlistment Date:||21 Nov 1863|
|Regiment:||30th WI Infantry|
|Muster Out Date:||20 Sept 1864|
|Muster Out Place:|
|Sources Used: Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; 1890 Veterans census, Berne, Albany Co., NY|
John was raised in Fulton, Schoharie county, NY. After his marriage in the 1850s, he and his wife Fanny, as she was known, relocated to Plainfield, Waushara County, Wisconsin where John's parents and siblings had moved. While living there, John was drafted for service in the Civil War. After the War, John and Fanny settled back in her hometown of Berne, Albany County, NY. There in 1870, John was working as a farmer and they were living with Fanny's elderly father William Winans.
John died sometime in the early to mid 1880s probably in Berne, Albany County, NY. His burial place is unknown however it maybe in Schoharie County given his family's previous connections there. After his death, his wife Fanny remarried Abram H. Onderdonk. In the 1890 US Census for Berne, Fanny Onderdonk was recorded as the surviving widow of John C. Spawn.
Additional Research Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Bernehistory.org
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1850 US Census, Fulton, Schoharie Co, NY
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 1860 US Census, Plainfield, Waushara Co, WI
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 1870 Census
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 1880 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ Waushara County Civil War Draft Nov 25, 1863, Published Dec 1863 & Dec 7, 1921 in Waushara Argus, transcribed by Pamela Anderson, www.rrotsweb.com
- ↑ Mrs. Fannie Onderdonk's obituary, Altamont Enterprise January 30, 1914
- ↑ 1890 US Veterans Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY