Alfred L. Flansburgh was born March 28, 1822 to Johannes B. Flansburgh (B. Dec 22, 1779, D. May 6, 1862) and Margaret Bradt (B. Oct 6, 1786, D. May 1, 1870).. He was one of 12 children. He was christened 28 Jul 1822 in New Salem, Albany Co., New York.
Marriage & Children
Alfred married Malvina Hempstead before 1848. She was born about 1830, the daughter of Samuel Hempstead and Marenda Bennett. They had the following children:
- Margaret M. Flansburgh was born July 16, 1848, in Westerlo, Albany, NY
- Lucy Ann Flansburgh (B. 1852, D. 1902)
- Mary Jane Flansburgh was born about 1858 in Pennsylvania.
- Magdalen A. Flansburgh (B. Nov 15, 1861, D. Nov 30, 1911)
- Unknown Flansburgh was born 1865, D. unk)
- Walter C. Flansburgh was born. Dec 16, 1866, D. 1936)
In 1860 he was living in East Berne, NY. As a farmer he had a Real Estate value of $200.00 and Personal Property valued at $200.00.
|Enlistment Date:||17 September 1862 at the age of 40. (25 Sep. 1862)|
|Enlistment Place:||New Scotland, Albany Co., NY|
|Enlistment Term:||3 Years|
|State Served:||New York|
|Regiment:||25th Infantry Regiment New York|
|Transferred out of:||Company B, 25th Infantry Regiment New York on 19 Jun 1863.|
|Transferred into:||Company K, 44th Infantry Regiment New York on 25 Jun 1863|
|Wounded in Action:||13 May 1864|
|Wounded at:||Spotsylvania Court House, VA|
|Re-enlistment:||1 June 1864|
|Transferred out of:||Company K, 44th Infantry Regiment New York on 10 Oct 1864.|
|Transferred into:||Company C, 146th Infantry Regiment New York on 10 Oct 1864.|
|Muster Out Date:||11 October 1864|
|Muster Out Place:||Washington, DC|
|Additional Remarks: He is described as being "40 years old, farmer, 5 ft. 6 in., dark complexed with brown hair and grey eyes". He deserted the 06 Jul 1863 near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania while on march and was later arrested and ordered to be "shot to death with musketry" for desertion. The court later changed it's mind and he was discharged from the service and was to forfeit all pay due to him and remain in confinement at Ft. Jefferson, Florida. Alfred returned to duty with the 146 th New York Volunteers on the 24 April 1865. The following muster roll of 22 Jun 1865 lists him as being in the hospital. He was later mustered out at Washington on July 15, 1865.|
|Sources Used: 1865 State census; Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817,Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York|
After the war
After the war Alfred returned home and in 1870 was living Westerlo, Albany Co., New York. In 1880 Alfred and Melvina were still living in Westerlo, living with them were children Magdalen and Walter and Lucy's youngest child Alfred Sinclair.
Alfred L. Flansburgh died on December 10, 1897 probably in Westerlo and was buried at the Reidsville Cemetery in Reidsville, Albany Co, NY. His wife Malvina died on August 22, 1910 and was buried with her husband. Also at the Reidsville Cemetery are their daughters Lucy Ann and Magdalen A. Flansburgh.
Altamont Enterprise, December 17, 1897 (burial notice)
Mr. Alfred Flansburgh was buried from the Christian Church last Sunday. He was 75 years old and a former resident of this place (Reidsville)
Additional Research Notes
Annual Report of the Adjutant-General of the State of New York for the Year 1900|Annual Report of the Adjutant-General of the State of New York for the Year 1900
FLANSBURG, ALFRED L. - Private Twenty fifth Infantry transferred to Co K this regiment June 25 1863 wounded in action May 13 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House Va transferred to Co C One Hundred Forty sixth Infantry October 10 1864 also borne as William
- 1850 U.S. Census New York, Albany Co., Berne, Roll: M432_473 pg. 9.
- 1880 U.S. Census New York, Albany Co., Westerlo, Roll: T9-0807 pg. 193C.
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Company Descriptive Book.
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Hospital Muster Roll (May & June 1865, Near Alexandria, VA).
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Individual Muster-out Roll (15 Jul 1865, Washington DC).
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Company Muster Roll (May & June 1865).
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Descriptive List of Deserters (30 Jul 1863, Near Warrenton, VA).
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Company Muster Roll (July & Aug 1863).
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Special Orders No 183 (Washington DC, 24 Apr 1865).
- Military: Alfred L. Flansburgh-249, Civil War, Court Martial Order No 89 (9 Jul 1864).
- 1870 U.S. Census New York, Albany Co., Westerlo, Roll: M593_903 pg. 294.