Binns, Henry

From Helderberg Hilltowns of Albany County, NY
Revision as of 06:21, May 18, 2022 by WikiVisor (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "Category:Biography" to "Category:Biographies")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Henry Binns

Birth

Henry Binns was born 1866 in Middleburgh, Schoharie, NY, the son of Joseph Binns (ABT 1823 - AFT 1 JUN 1905) and Catharine (ABT 1830 - BEF 1905) of Germany. His brothers and sisters were: [1]

  • Catharine Binns (ABT 1849 - UNKNOWN)
  • John Binns (ABT 1860 - UNKNOWN)
  • Charity Binns (ABT 1868 - UNKNOWN)
  • Elizabeth Binns (ABT 1871 - UNKNOWN)
  • Lavina Binns (ABT 1872 - UNKNOWN)
  • Frederick Binns (ABT 1873 - UNKNOWN)
  • Franklin Binns (ABT 1875 - UNKNOWN)
  • Laura Binns (ABT 1880 - UNKNOWN)
  • Frank Binns (ABT 1883 - UNKNOWN )

Marriage

About 1893 Henry married Grace Every of Middleburgh.

Occupation

Owner and operator of Binn's Grove, also known as Binn's Landing. He also operated the East Berne Grist Mill and a boarding house that in later years became the Restseeker's Inn. Henry's farm was later to become Cole Hill Farm at the corner of County Rte. 2 (Cole Hill Road) and state Rte. 443.

Death

Henry Binns
1866-1925
Grace Every
His Wife
1877-1926
Henry B. Hillicass
1909-1916
Woodlawn Cemetery
Andrew J. Hilicous
1877-1956
Manford Helligrass
1908-1994
(Back of Binns Monument)
Woodlawn Cemetery
Henry Binns
1866-1925
Woodlawn Cemetery
Grace Every
His Wife
1877-1926
Woodlawn Cemetery
Henry B. Hillicass
1909-1916
Woodlawn Cemetery

Henry died Oct. 8, 1925. He is buried next to his wife in the Woodlawn Cemetery.

  1. www.BerneHistory.com Family Files

More Information

Along that line, Charles Goodfellow became a carpenter and, as, such, worked at the Port of Albany for a time during its construction. He later became a building contractor and had several men working with him, including Eton Gallup, Chester A. Warner, the late Judson Fiikins, and others. Probably the largest local jobs he had were the original buildings of Camp Orisekwa and Camp Woodstock, many of the private summer cottages on Warner's Lake, and most of the buildings in the old Pine Grove area, originally owned by the late Henry Binns, who at that time also owned the big mill in East Berne now owned by John Crosier, and Hubert Miller's, farm and the hotel near the Rest Seekers Inn. New buildings and repairs for Binns alone was nearly a full-time job for several years.

Altamont Enterprise - April 26, 1968

Henry Binns, the Berne stage driver, brought down a four-horse load from Berne, last Friday night, 4th inst. and the party, which consisted of about twenty-five young ladies and gentlemen, spent several hours very pleasantly with Mr. Leslie Allen and family. They departed at 1:30, Saturday morning, arriving home about 5 o'clock

Altamont Enterprise - March 12, 1892

Note: Need information on relationship to Hillicass, Hilicous, Helligrass - names that share space on his tombstone.