Crawford, Wilkins Sr.
Wilkins Crawford Sr. was born in about 1812 in Albany County, NY. Unfortunately his parents are unknown. However it would appear that he was closely related to John Crawford (B. abt 1800, D. bet 1850-60) as they lived next to one another in Westerlo in 1850. In 1840, two John Crawfords lived in Westerlo; one born about 1800 as mentioned above and another born about 1780 who may have been their father.
Marriage & Children
Before 1836, Wilkins married a woman named Ruth whose maiden name and parents are unknown.
They had the following children:
- Margaret S. Crawford Burt (B. 1836, D. 1896)
- Martha Crawford (B. abt 1837, D. unk)
- Louisa Crawford (B. abt 1839, D. unk)
- Harriet Crawford (B. abt 1843, D. unk)
- Sally A. Crawford (B. abt 1844,D. unk)
- Hannah Crawford Flansburg (B. 1845, D. 1926)
- Ruthmarie Emma Crawford Lee (B. 1847, D. 1920)
- Jane Crawford Lee (B. 1848, D. unk)
- Wilkins Crawford Jr. (B. Oct 1850, D. 1936)
Wilkins was first recorded in a US Census in 1850 in Westerlo where he lived next to John Crawford (B. abt 1800). At the time Wilkins was a farmer, who owned property valued at $2200.00. He lived with his wife and eight daughters. In October of 1850 his only son Wilkins Crawford Jr. was born. His wife Ruth died just two years later. During the 1850s Wilkins and several of his children moved from Westerlo to a farm in East Berne valued $2800.00. It was there that Wilkins and several of his daughters and his young son were recorded for the 1860 Census. In that record, several of Wilkins' young daughters were not recorded as living with their father and perhaps finding their residences may help identify Wilkins and Ruth's parentage. The 1865 NY State Census recorded Wilkins and several of his young children. They were living in a framed home in the Town of Berne. Wilkins was recorded as a widow in that census as well as having been born in Albany County.
Wilkins' wife Ruth died first on September 27, 1852 and was buried at Brate Farm Burying Grounds in Westerlo. Wilkins also died at a young age, 57 years, on January 10, 1869 in Berne. He was buried with his wife Ruth at the Brate Farm Burying Grounds in Westerlo.
- US Censuses
- 1865 NY State Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- 1850 US Census, Westerlo, Albany Co, NY
- 1840 US Census, Westerlo, Albany Co, NY
- 1860 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- Hannahy, Lt. Col. Wm. V., Dutch Settlers Society of Albany Yearbook; Burying Ground Inscriptions Town of Berne, Albany County, NY, Vol. XXI-XXII, Published by the Dutch Settlers Society of Albany 1945-47.