The Jacob Sholtes Farm
From Helderberg Hilltowns of Albany County, NY
- ~1740 a squatter homesteaded this farm.
- 1787 - (Johan) Jacob Shultes, born 1761, was living there. His father, Mathias, was the son of Elisabetha Dietz and her first husband. In 1743, in Greene County, the widowed Elisabetha married Jacob Weidman. Mathias was about 10 years-old when his mother and step-father moved to Beaver Dam (now Berne) about 1750. In 1786, his son Jacob married a daughter of Johannes Fisher.
- 1841 - Their grandson Jacob Sholtes, born 1817, married Mary Ann Haverly who died in 1847 leaving two young children.
- 1848 - Jacob married Christina Weidman. When she died in childbirth the following year, he married Angelica Schell. Jacob immediately built The Jacob Sholtes House
- 1854 map of Berne shows ....
- 1866 Beers map of Berne shows J. Scholtes
The farm passed from father to son in the Sholtes family, until it reached the end of the line with Friend Sholtes.
- 1958 Friend Sholtes sold the farm to Peter Michienzi and died the same year. Peter built the ranch house east of the house for his parents. He had a farm manager who did crops and milked the cows.
- 1973 Jay and Evelyn Francis bought the Sholtes farm.
- Current Owner: Nicholas Tommell and wife, Therasa Consentino-Tommell. (beef cattle farmer)