A private school, called a select school, was organized in 1882 with a Board of Trustees including E. V. Filkins, Thomas J. Wood, George H. Reinhart, Charles E. Deitz, Peter S. Ball, and Edwin M. Shultes.
This school was successfully operated in a room over Settle's Store at the close of the century.
Note: The building was a Post Office in the 1920's. The post master from 1915 - 1928 was Clarence Haverly, husband of Carrie Filkins. In 1929 the Berne Volunteer Fire Company was organized and the building became the first fire house.
Source: Our Heritage