Rensselaerville Library

From Helderberg Hilltowns of Albany County, NY
Rensselaerville Reading Room
Photo Courtesy Rensselaerville Historical Society

Rensselaerville's first library was called The Federal Library which was established at a meeting of the townspeople on March 13, 1798. At first, the library contained about two hundred volumes and was kept in different parts of town where there was room found in a log house to accomodate them.

On August 14, 1896, a meeting of the citizens of Rensselaerville was held at the store of Charles Oswald. A new library of the Rensselaerville Reading Room and Library Association was opened on December 19, 1899, in a former boot shop donated by William Felter on Main Street in the village. The Rensselaerville Library was renovated in 1906 and chartered as an library association by New York State in 1921.