Frank Hart & Son was founded in 1920 when Frank Hart (1871-1948) and his son Milton, Sr. (1893-1954) purchased the water-powered Berne Grist Mill in Berne. They were principally engaged in the milling of buckwheat flour (for pancakes) and grinding feed. That same year they affiliated with a new cooperative called GLF (Grange League Federation) - handling their feed, fertilizer and later farm supplies. The operation remained virtually unchanged until World War II, when the flour milling ceased. After being discharged from the Army, Milton, Jr., (1926- ) joined his father and grandfather. At that time the business was expanded with a larger office, showroom and loading dock. Also installed were feed mixing machinery and gas pumps. In the '60s GLF merged with other cooperatives and became known as Agway, and the Harts became Agway representatives. Later in the '60s, to make room for their expanding line of farm supplies and hardware, the outdated machinery was removed. Much of the machinery was donated to the Rensselaerville mill restoration project, where today it powers a grist mill. Milton, Jr. and his wife Ruthe continued to operate the mill for many years after the death of his father, Milton, Sr.
Source: Altamont Enterprise July 26, 1984.