William Craver was born on Sept 17, 1826 in Wright, Schoharie County, NY to John Craver and Fally Dennison.
Marriage & Children
He married two times. The first in about 1850, he married Eve Esther Beller (B. abt 1827, D. <1866) and by her had several children:
- Juliette Craver (B. abt 1851, D. after 1930)
- John A. Craver (B. Dec 1853, D. bet 1900-1905)
- Arlean Craver (B. abt 1857, D. unk)
Then on November 1, 1866 at the Lutheran Church in Berne, he married Jane Farquher (B. 1837, D. after 1900)
|Residence at Enlistment:||Berne|
|Place of Birth:||Wright, Schoharie Co.|
|Date of Birth:||17 Sept 1826|
|Names of Parents:||John (Craver) and Fally Dennison|
|Term of Enlistment:||1 year|
|Enlistment Date:||29 Aug 1864|
|Enlistment Place:||Albany, NY|
|State Served:||New York|
|Muster Out Date:||17 Jun 1865 |
|Muster Out Place:||Richmond, VA|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted at the age of 37.
Born Wright, Schoharie County on September 17, 1827, Laborer, Blue eyes, Brown hair, Light complexion, 5'8" tall.
|Sources Used: Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War|
In 1860 William Craver was living in Middleburgh, Schoharie County and working as a day laborer. He was living with his wife Eve and three young children. During the next decade his wife Eve died and he remarried Jane Farquher. In 1870 they were living in Knox, Albany County where he was working as a farm laborer. Living with them were his step sons Anthony Cary and William Cary, but none of his children by his first marriage. Ten years later he was living with the family of Andrew Onderdonk a farmer in Wright, Schoharie County, NY and he was a laborer. William was recorded as married but his wife Jane has not been found. In 1888, William filed for his Civil War pension. In the 1890 US Veterans Census William was recorded as living in Gallupville, Schoharie County, NY, however the record does not provide any details as apparently his discharge papers were not available. In 1900 William was again living in Wright however he was now a boarder of Ester Warner (B. Feb 1844), who was 56 yrs of age and who owned a mortgaged home. He was recorded as married and was working as a farm laborer.
William Craver died after 1900.
Additional Research Notes
Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Bernehistory.org
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Ancestry Military Databases
- ↑ NY Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, Ancestry.com Military databases
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 1860 US Census, Middleburgh, Schoharie Co, NY
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 1870 US Census, Knox, Albany Co, NY
- ↑ 1880 US Census, Wright, Schoharie Co, NY
- ↑ Civil War Pension Index, www.ancestry.com
- ↑ 1890 US Veterans Census, Wright, Schoharie Co, NY
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 1900 US Census, Wright, Schoharie Co, NY