Deitz, Charles H.

From Helderberg Hilltowns of Albany County, NY
(Redirected from Charles H. Deitz)
Charles H. Deitz

Birth

Charles H. Deitz was born January 21, 1867 to Miner Deitz and Sarah Posson Deitz in Gallupville.

Marriage & Children

Charles married Harriet “Hattie” Kniskern October 9, 1889, at the Berne residence of her father and stepmother, John Calvin Kniskern and Aurelia Bateholts Kniskern. (Hattie’s mother Angeline Esther Decker of Berne had died at 24 yo; b. March 1, 1845 – d. December 13, 1869.) Charles and Hattie were married 53 years and had two children.

  • Ruth Kniskern Deitz (b. December 28, 1896; m. Judge Henry A. Brand 1937; m. Archibald Smith 1969; d. September 10, 1971)
  • Helen Mary Deitz (b. October 1, 1904; m. Maynard W. Sullivan 1927; d. October 8, 1985)

Occupation and Life

Charles was recorded as 3 years old on the 1870 Town of Knox census, and lived with his parents Myron Deitz 31 and Sarah 32, and brother Wm. E. 6. Charles was 8 years old on the 1875 Berne census and he lived with his parents Minor Dietz 36 and Sarah 37, and brother Ellis W. 11. Charles was 13 years old on the 1880 Berne census and lived with his parents Miner Deitz 41 and Sarah 42, and brothers Ellis W. 16 and Courtney 4.

In 1886, Hattie Kniskern (of Berne) was a teacher at Bradt Hollow, and she married Charles H. Deitz in October, 1889, in Berne.

By the time of the February 1892 census, Charles 26 and his wife "Hati" 27 resided with his parents and his brother Courtney in Albany; Charles and his father Miner and his brother Courtney were all bakers.

Charles opened a bakery on Madison Avenue and he and Hattie continued the business together until Charles' ill health caused his doctor to order him back to the country. Charles and Hattie moved to Schoharie by 1893 and ran the Fair Street Bakery for 7 years.

In 1900, Charles purchased the men’s clothing business run by M.D. Bice (originally established by Ezra Twitchell in 1893) in the L.J. Wright block. Charles and Hattie Dietz were recorded on the 1900 Schoharie census, and Charles' occupation was "clothing store." He moved his business to the Bellinger block several years later and subsequently purchased that block.

In 1905, Charles and Hattie lived on Main St. in Schoharie with daughters Ruth 8 and Helen 1. His occupation was "merchant, clothing."

In 1907, Charles purchased the family home on Grand St (later owned by his daughter Ruth Brand through 1969). That same year he was elected to the Schoharie school board of education to fill a vacancy.

Charles 43 and Hattie 44 lived in 1910 Schoharie with daughters Ruth 13 and Helen 5, and by this time, Charles had taken in his widowed mother Sarah 71.

From 1911 to 1915, Charles served as postmaster of the village. He was elected a trustee of the Old Stone Fort Cemetery Association on March 1, 1913 and served 5 years; followed by a March 1, 1918 election to treasurer, an office he held until his death.

On August 12, 1913, Charles was appointed to president of the Schoharie School Board, an office he held for 29 years.

Charles and Hattie were recorded in the Schoharie censes of 1915, 1920, 1925, 1930 and 1940.

Charles retired from the clothing business on August 18, 1938, and the "Dietz block" was later sold in 1950 by his daughter, Mrs. Maynard W. Sullivan.

Charles and Hattie had a love of education, and both of their daughters graduated from Oneonta Normal School and were teachers, in Schoharie and Schenectady.

Charles and Hattie were very involved with the community and entertained family and friends at their Grand Street home in Schoharie. Harriet often hosted meetings of the Women’s Aid Society and the Qui Vive Club, and she was an active member of the Schoharie Valley Chapter of the D.A.R.


Death

Charles died on November 24, 1942 at his home on Grand St.

Hattie also died at their Grand St. home, on September 2, 1944.

They are both buried at Old Stone Fort Cemetery.


Obituary

Charles H. Deitz obit (Cobleskill Times)

From the Cobleskill Times, (Schoharie Correspondent)

Veteran Business Man of Schoharie Passes Away.

CHARLES H. DIETZ

Funeral services were conducted Friday afternoon at the Galen White Funeral Home for Charles H. Dietz who passed away at his home in Schoharie November 24, following a short illness, at the age of 75.

He was born on January 21, 1867 at Gallupville, the son of the late Miner and Sarah Posson Dietz. Following his schooling he opened a bakery on Madison avenue in Albany.

In 1889 he was married to Miss Harriet Kniskern, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Kniskern of Berne, and together they continued the bakery business in Albany until Mr. Dietz’s health gave out and the doctor ordered him into the country. Not knowing where to go, they spent some time looking around and finally in 1893 they came to Schoharie and bought the bakery on Fair Street. The business thrived for seven years, when in 1900 Mr. Dietz purchased the men’s clothing business, originally established by Ezra Twitchell in 1893, then conducted by M.D. Bice in the block now owned by L.J.Wright.

From time to time changes of location were necessary and the first move was to the Bellinger block. After a few years in that location he purchased the block where his business was conducted until he retired on August 18, 1938.

From 1911 to 1915 he served as postmaster of the village. In 1907 he purchased the home on Grand Street, where they now live, and in the same year, August 6, 1907 he was elected to the school board for one year to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Thomas B. Borst. At the expiration of the term he was again elected and from that time until the present date has serviced on the board of education of the schools of the village.

“Actions speak louder than words” certainly rings true in this case, for on August 12, 1913 he was chosen president of the Board and has served in that capacity for the past 29 years.

Besides various duties and activities that Mr. Dietz handled from day to day, he has been a faithful member of the Old Stone Fort Cemetery Association, having been elected a trustee on March 1, 1913 and serviced for five years in that position. Then on March 1, 1918 he was elected treasurer of that organization and has served as such to the present date.

Always pleasant and courteous, a man among men, Mr. Dietz was ever ready and willing to assist in the affairs of the present day and the large array of flowers was mute tribute to the esteem in which he was held in this community.

On October 9, he, together with Mrs. Dietz celebrated their 53rd wedding anniversary.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Maynard W. Sullivan of Middleburgh, and Mrs. Henry A. Brand of Schenectady, two grandchildren, a brother, Courtney Dietz of Albany, and several (cut off ).

Rev. George R. Kyle, pastor of the Community church officiated at the services and interment was made in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery.


Mrs. HARRIET K. DEITZ (Schenectady Gazette, September 5, 1944)

Mrs. Harriet Kniskern Deitz, wife of the late Charles H. Deitz, who died Saturday at her home on Grand avenue, Schoharie, after being in ill health for some time, will be buried this afternoon in Old Stone Fort cemetery, Schoharie. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock at the Galen White funeral home, Schoharie, conducted by Rev. George Kyle. Mrs. Deitz was a resident of Schoharie for many years and was a member of Schoharie chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Henry A. Brand and Mrs. Maynard W. Sullivan.

Additional Media

Sources